Friday, 3 August 2018

Lakeland 50 Ultra Marathon race report.

Woke up to a downpour, couldn't believe after training for weeks in hot weather this is how the day would begin.

Many asked "what time are you looking for?" to be honest I had no idea. Never been further than 27 mile's before so didnt know what to expect. Deep down I just wanted to do myself justice and finish the race in good shape.

By the time we got to the start line the weather had cleared considerably.
Great to see Claire, Gemma and Chezza supporting the ITC group.

HOWTOWN - MARDALE

Started off steady, found myself alongside Ste P and caught glimpses of the two Marks and Andy.
Myself and Ste had a steady jog to the first check point. Didnt stay long but we did see Emma and Phil in there and Jack entering as we made our way back onto the route.

Fusedale climb what can I say ? I can say this effin horrendous weather. Head down, blowing a gale, horizontal hailstones hitting the legs. The only thought was to get this section over with asap. Upon reaching the top myself and Ste didnt waste much time across the top couldn't wait for the warmer side of the decent to Haweswater.

MARDALE - KENTMERE
Arrived at Mardale CP no need to check my watch the strategy I had was just to focus on CP to CP and time was secondary. Ste was quick to get going again I said I was going to change my top and have a little more time or was that a little more faffing.

Seen Emma and Phil again but they didnt stay long.

Bumped into Anna whom I'd ran 12 miles with on a recce, quick catch up and a hug and she was on her way I said I'd catch her up.

From nowhere a thunderclap came the heavens opened and many took shelter under the marquee when it passed I was on my way.

This leg of the journey I shared with the two Mark's (Stanton & Gallagher) how those two finished is beyond me. MS with his chesty coughing fits and MG not moving too well carrying a couple of injuries. The climb seemed to take forever. Mardale is a slow head down climb as were many on the route.

On the way down myself and Mark 1 and 2 came across one chap who just suffered a head injury or should I say nose injury. A mention for Nick Bennett from the Endurance Store who was doing his best to bandage the chap up Terry Butcher style.

Encountered another rainstorm during this leg. Another soaking and another head down just keep going state of mind.

Arrived at Kentmere, I knew I needed to eat and struggled to but I had Pasta, sandwich, coke, biscuits and a coffee. Looking back the next leg was the best I had felt due to this gorging. Said hello to Anna again just as she was setting off and a little chat with Fiona.

Myself and the two Mark's sat and finished our coffee. A chap we helped over a stile sat next to us. He looked in a bad way. Shivering uncontrollably. Medics tended to him not sure if he pulled out or not.

KENTMERE - AMBLESIDE

The three of us set off once again. Even though the other two were in bad shape they were a little quicker on the flats whereas I was a little quicker on the hills so on the ascent out of Kentmere I left them only to learn Mark G had been throwing up and Mark S had stayed with him. I was not to see them again until Ambleside.

This leg went by pretty quickly still hadn't looked at my time but I was feeling ok. Great support in Ambleside and fantastic to see Claire and Gemma there supporting. Quick hugs ( sure Claire grabbed my bum ) .

Fantastic reception at the CP, once again forced myself to eat again. Soup, sandwich, cake, coffee, coke the whole shebang. This wasn't greed by the way the only way I would make it to the end would be to take on board as much sustenance as possible. Ended up spending too much time there as I decided that I would now change my socks.

Upon leaving saw The two M''s (think Mark G had been in the gents throwing up again) and Mark S informed me John Byrne was knocking about somewhere. Mark advised me to get my torch out so I put it around my neck to be prepared. I then said goodbye to the lads which Mark S then said "Lone Wolf" sort of made me feel a bit tough little did he know by hook or by crook I was going  to find a buddy through the darkness.

AMBLESIDE - CHAPLESTILE

Didnt feel too bad at this point knew it wasn't a long leg so jogged, walked and remembered to get my GPS out and boot it up. Now here as you will read further on aswell came a recurring theme of the day. I had a little coughing moment which turned into a heave. I then stopped in my tracks and threw up uncontrollably 3-4 times it seemed I was in a bad place but as soon as it came it went. Thinking about what I had eaten at Ambleside it was no wonder my stomach didnt settle.

Arrived at Chaplestile feeling ok, i knew how much of the course was left and i was more than confident of getting to Coniston. Once again Marshall's were great, getting good and drinks a bringing them to you.

Only ailment I had was chaffing under the armpits, blagged a bit of vaseline and off into the dark.

CHAPLESTILE - TILBERTHWAITE
Running buddies were few and far between at this point but I was confident with the GPS so I carried on instead of waiting. Not long into the leg a young girl caught me up then came alongside trying to read her notebook, she didnt say nothing so i took the lead and said I wouldn't go that far in front that she couldn't see me and if I looked back and I couldn't see her I'd wait for her.

A little later we passed a 100 runner he was going a similar pace to the young girl, I think this suited it her so I was felt comfortable to push on.

I knew from our recce i was close to the climb up to Blea Tarn. As i approached a 5ft stile i came across a lady doubled up by the stile. At first i thought she was reading her road book or quite possibly injured as I realised she was crying uncontrollably. She told me she felt nauseous and couldn't be sick and couldnt carry on. Now here is a moment were things need to be addressed, maybe I came across unsympathetic or a little uncaring but this couldnt be further from the truth, call it tough love if you like.
I told her she had to be sick and it had happened to me, if she didnt get it up her race was over (maybe mine too).
Right on cue she threw up 4 or 5 times then held her hand out "do you want me to help you up?" I said, "no can you just hold my hand for a minute?"
In a matter of minutes she felt ten times better, I then straightened her clothing (that's something you can only get away with in an Ultra) and then we both scrambled over the stile. She thanked me and I carried on up the climb and on to Tilberthwaite.

TILBERTHWAITE - THE FINISH .

I arrived at the CP not feeling too bad but still forced some food down. Surprisingly I saw John Byrne he was ready to leave but said he'd hang on for me and we'd carry on together. I took my coffee with me and we started the climb up Jacob's ladder. This was a very quiet and technical section from all around. It was great to reach the bottom knowing we weren't far from the finish.

Myself and John crossed the line together, congratulated each and got led into the marquee for the medals .

Officially 15 hours 9 mins
Officially / unofficially retired.

Special mention for Paul Sutton for putting the training plan together and more so for completing the race after last year's accident.

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant blog. Really good to read about what you went through. Hats off to you Mick. A terrific achievement. And I do not believe you are retired!

    ReplyDelete