Progress of the Peregrines 2014.
I started this blog about the Peregrines in late April. I had been watching them earlier in the month but I'd thought I would chart their progress.
Sunday 18th April 2014
Mia (below) gets her first glimpse of two chicks and 1 parent.
Think I might have to buy her own Binoculars.
Weds 21st May
Only one chick and one parent in view.
No site of chicks and only 1 parent on view.
Sunday 25th May
Best view yet of both parents and two definite chicks possibly three. Mother and Father on chimney with prey and stripping it to take to the young. Followed them as they flew to the box then hopped inside with the food. Adults then left the box and stood nearby as the young had their meal.
Tuesday 27th May 2014
Best view of the whole family tonight. Both parents in close proximity to each other on the chimney stack and the chicks at the nest. The parent I think is the male (darker head and plumage) was stripping a kill whilst the mother looked on.
I can confirm today a sighting of 3 chicks in the nest. They have lost there white fluffy down and have turned a light grey with a little lighter areas on the body. They appear to be around 8 inches tall with wings of similar length. Think I'm going to see them a lot more often in the coming days.
Wednesday 28th May 5pm.
The view and movement of the Falcons just gets better day by day. The female was perched up on the rings of the Chimney whilst the male (darker head) was once again stripping its prey of feathers upon the top of the Chimney itself. It's at this point that I know it won't be long before he takes it to the chicks.
My attention turns to the chicks who are now very mobile within the nest. All three can be seen quite easily through the Binoculars now. All flexing there wings. Don't think it will be long before they venture on the ledge of the building.
One of the parents makes it's call and the chicks now know feeding time is imminent. The male makes a great flight to the nest and swoops gracefully upon the ledge and pops the food into the nest.
Unlike last time I saw this happen the female also leaves the Chimney flies to the nest and supervises the father deliver the food successfully.
The father then leaves the ledge to sit about 10 feet up above the nest. The mother knowing her chicks have got there food then makes a few loops of the building then resides again on her perch high upon the Chimney stack.
This has been by far the best activity I have seen at one visit. Hopefully catch them tomorrow then I won't be able to get up there until next Monday. Hope alls well on my return.
17:45 Sunday 1st June.
Only one parent on view today probably the female but hard to tell. Only caught sight of two chicks tonight they're looking really big now and brave enough to perch on the lip of the box.
Spoke to a chap who has watched them for a few years. He says he has definitely seen 4 chicks a few weeks ago but only recently seen 3. He thinks the missing one might have been a former meal 😞 that's nature for you.
Tuesday 3rd June 18:45.
On approaching the area I could only pick out the Male on the side of the Dome, the place he usually goes after feeding the chicks. On closer inspection of the Chimney I could just pick out the Female on the side of the Chimney on one of the Steel rings.
I made my way to the viewing point from the canal and I could easily see two chicks perched on the front of the box. Feathers have gone a little browner and they're certainly taller. Didn't know for sure if I could see the third in the rear of the box but I couldn't be sure.
I made my way over the bridge to the closest point to the nesting box and I could easily pick them out without the Binoculars. Two were still perched on the front of the box then I noticed another chick outside of the box on the open ledge but it didn't appear to be stood up. It seemed to be keeping its head quite close to the ledge. I'm hoping all is well with the 3rd chick it could be weaker than the others but tomorrow it will either be back in the box, still on the ledge or it could have fell off. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.
Weds 4th June
Only seen two chicks today viewed from the East side which is the closest I can get to the nest. The young were bold as brass perched on the front of the box. They're looking more like young adults now rather than chicks. They are full feathered and quite confident.
I then went canalside and could see the one of the young had retired to the box and the other was still perched. Sadly no sign of the young one that was outside if the box yesterday. Maybe he was in the box, maybe eaten or maybe fell. Hope I get to see three again next time.
On the adult front just seen the male (I think) above the box on the ledge. No sign if the female tonight.
Thurs 5th June 2014
Bit disappointing today not much to see. One parent was on the ledge next to the box the other was on the ledge above. Only one young could be seen perched on the box. Not much movement from any of them. I'm a bit concerned that only one young could be seen. Lets hope I see more tomorrow.
Friday 6th of June
It was a shame I finished work late and could only spend a little time there tonight. Five birds in total could be seen, not only that but two of the fledglings were out and about on the ledges of the Dome and one was perched in the box. Last nights fear came to nothing and it was a delight to watch the whole family out and about.
One of the parents was giving an Ariel display possibly encouraging the young to fly but they look a little immature yet. The other parent was carrying a kill and every time it came in proximity the young got excited.
One chap again reckons there are four young but as yet I've only ever seen 3 at one time.
Don't think I'll be able to get up tomorrow but there is definitely plenty to see.
Next year I think I need to upgrade my Binoculars :)
Monday 9th June 18:30.
Not been up for two days and back then there was so much activity. Today a bit disappointed only saw two birds. One on the Dome stripping a kill which I could see clearly and one on the top of the Chimney stack.
I couldn't really make out if the one one the Chimney was an adult or a fledgling. I'll be up taking a peek for the next few days but I think they may have flown the nest.
Tues 10th June 2014
Went up today not expecting to see much but I was surprised. Three birds on view, two on the Chimney stack and one on the ledge around 10 metres from the nest.
It was hard to tell if any if them were adults as they are now pretty big. I could make out at least two had light grey feathers with a creamy chest and they were doing a lot of flexing of feathers but I'd bet they were all fledglings.
No sign of the adults then they were possibly hunting for a meal.
Nice to see them still here and I'll monitor the site in the coming days.
12th June
3 birds, 2 on Chimney and one possibly young perched on nest box.
13th June
Two on tower and one young above nest box.
Sunday 15th June
3 birds on view maybe all the young hard to tell. All on Chimney.
UPDATE
5th Jan 2015
I thought that 15th of June would be the end of the 2014 Peregrine blog but on a local FB page a chap put a picture of a few of the birds on the chimney which started the question of do they migrate.
If they're the same birds it looks like 2014 was a very successful year .













No comments:
Post a Comment